If you look towards the foot of our website, you will see icons demonstrating that we are ISO 17100 & ISO 9001 certified.
What do these mean for you, the customer? In this article, we'll look at the history and meaning of these certifications and how they guarantee that IMD translations provide a best-in-class legal translation solution for you.
What is ISO 17100?
ISO17100 specifies certain requirements for the translation process, resources and other aspects necessary for the delivery of a quality translation service. This is an internationally recognised standard for translation services.
It also sets out requirements for parties involved in the process to possess certain competencies and qualifications.
ISO 17100 only applies to translation and not to interpretation.
In order to conform to the standard, the translation services provider must:
- Ensure linguist competence - by ensuring linguists used are appropriately skilled, qualified, and experienced
- Translate the document - including having the document reviewed by the translator.
- Review the work - if project specifications include, this is done by a different, qualified translator or editor and must be bilingual to check for errors.
- Proofread - if project specifications include, a final proofread and check for accuracy and flow in the target language
- Verification - a systemic quality check process by a trained project manager to confirm that the project specifications have been met.
- Review & validation - where project specifications include, the review must assess that the output is fit for its intended purpose and apply any specific terminology if omitted.
What is ISO 9001?
ISO 9001 is not specific to translation service providers. It was originally developed for the manufacturing industry. Since its inception, it has focused less on process management and more on business management. In particular, it now emphasises people, including customers and aims to foster continuous improvement in business processes.
In order to obtain ISO 9001 certification, a business must meet the requirements, which include:
- Customer Focus
- Involvement of People
- Process Approach
- System Approach to Management
- Continual Improvement
- Factual Approach to Decision Making
- Mutually Beneficial Supplier Relationship
How do these benefit you as a client of IMD Legal Translation?
ISO17100 guarantees that the service you receive is fit for purpose. It is your guarantee that the work translated is an accurate representation of the original free from error. It ensures that multiple qualified people handle the document and that it is reviewed thoroughly. In short, it is your guarantee that IMD legal comply with international standards and provides an accurate, error-free and high-quality translation service.
ISO 9001 guarantees that we met certain standards as an organisation - and one that you can trust. While theoretically, anyone who is bilingual will be able to translate, ISO 9001 certification guarantees that you are dealing with a reputable organisation focused on its internal practices, processes and people.
Contact IMD Legal Translation
If you require interpretation or translation services, our expert translators can help you. Our skilled team can translate swiftly and accurately, saving you time and money. We offer a fast turnaround, exceptional accuracy, and high-quality service. To discuss your needs with us today, please get in touch.